So, this story is going to be short, but I want to make sure I get it out there that I am SO pleasantly surprised to learn that Waka Flocka Flame is vegan. Who knew that such a lyrically-gifted rapper was also such an dietarily-aware man? (I really have no idea if that’s a thing but don’t pretend like you don’t know what I was trying to say.)
I saw this video on Facebook he did with MUNCHIES, and he made these blueberry muffins with his friend (who is also vegan), and they looked delicious. And they tasted even better. If you follow my Snapchat story, you know I taste tested these little guys with “No Hands” playing in the background, and I encourage you to do the same when you make them.
There are some differences between mine and Waka’s, and that’s because I am on a mostly plant-based diet and not vegan. The biggest difference is in the processing of the ingredients. Vegan doesn’t mean that you don’t eat processed food, it means that you don’t eat anything that an animal contributed to (meat, byproducts, dairy, etc.). I’m eating whole grains and raw sugars, so I swapped out his all-purpose flour and granulated sugar. But they’re still delicious, and just have more fiber than his. So if you start going to the bathroom more, I’m sorry?
I’m going to make these for meal prep this week and try using oat flour next week for more protein. So feel free to beat me to it. And don’t forget, if you post this shit on social media, make sure to #LIPOeats on the ‘gram.
Waka Flocka’s Vegan Blueberry Muffins
Prep time: 20 minutes | Bake time: 15-20 minutes | Servings: 12 large muffins or 36 mini muffins
- 2 cups + 1 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp raw cane sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice + zest from 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp warmed up coconut oil
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray your muffin tin with coconut oil spray. (You can use cupcake liners if you prefer.)
- Sift together 2 cups of flour, baking soda, salt and baking powder in a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine the vanilla, sugar, lemon juice and zest.
- Microwave coconut oil for 30 seconds before adding to the rest of the wet ingredients.
- Stir in with the wet, and then pour the wet in the dry ingredients and whisk until combined.
- Dust blueberries with 1 tbsp of flour and fold them into the batter.
- Divide batter into baking tin and bake 15 minutes for mini muffins and 20 minutes for larger muffins.